Day Away Volunteer Driver
Posted March 19, 2015
Transportation of the client to and from the Day Away Program is essential for providing respite for the caregiver. It allows the caregiver to remain at home and provides additional time for rest. For the client it promotes independence from the caregiver and fosters the feeling of going off to a “club” with friends.
Owen Sound, Meaford, Markdale, Hanover, Kincardine, Port Elgin, & Wiarton
One shift = 30 – 60 minutes. There are two shifts per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Volunteers are required to commit to two shifts per week or month. Discuss your availability with the program coordinator to find a time that is suitable for you.
- Genuine interest in assisting adults and seniors with physical disabilities;
- Good listening skills;
- Caring and friendly;
- Must hold a valid Ontario drivers license.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide transportation in your own vehicle for clients scheduled by the staff of Home & Community Support Services
- Arrive at the client’s home at the prearranged time in the morning and bring them to the Day Away Program between 9:00 & 9:30 am
- Arrive at the Day Away Program to pick up clients between 3:00 & 3:30 pm to return them to their home
- Report any problems or concerns encountered in carrying out duties to Home and Community Support Services of Grey Bruce.
- Record mileage on Monthly Mileage Record (Form TR2) and submit to main office by the 5th working day of the following month.
- Volunteer Drivers using their own vehicle will be reimbursed for mileage expenses according to the Board approved rate.
- Maintain your vehicle in safe working order
- Ensure all passengers buckle up, unless client is exempted by medical certificate.
- Keep identification badge on your person while volunteering.
- Place the Volunteer Driver Sign in your car windshield when driving for Home and Community Support Services at appropriate times.
- Inform your insurance company of your activity as a volunteer driver.
- Carry a minimum of $1,000,000 liability insurance on your vehicle.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Accept the Rights & Responsibilities of all volunteers of Home and Community Support Services of Grey Bruce as set out in the orientation manual.
- Attend training sessions offered by the agency.
All volunteers are required to complete a screening process including a police check and providing two personal references. An introduction to the agency & training is provided.