What is a Day Away Program?
- The Day Away Program is a community program that provides socialization and medical monitoring for adults. Our clients come to the program from 9:30 am to 3:30 p.m. and take part in a wide variety of activities. Staff takes the time to get to know the interests of our clients and then provide activities which match these interests. Music and laughter play an important role in our program. A meal with friends, a game of cards, crafts and simply sitting and chatting are all common activities at Day Away. Our clients are assisted in all activities by a professional staff and trained volunteers.
Check out the video below:
Who attends the Day Away Program?
- Adults who require assistance due to chronic illness, disability, memory loss or communication challenges.
- Seniors who are in need of socialization, recreation or ongoing caregiver respite.
Where is this program held?
|Owen Sound||Lee Manor
875 6th St. E.
|Monday to Saturday & every other Sunday|
229 Nelson St. W.
|Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday|
|South/Port||Dr. Earl Medical Centre
786 Goderich St.Port Elgin
|Monday to Friday|
|East/South Grey||Grey Gables
Box 1047, 206 Toronto St.
|Monday, Wednesday, Friday|
|Bruce Peninsula||Gateway Haven
Box 10 671 Frank St.
|Monday, Wednesday, Friday|
|Saugeen Central||Hanover Hospital
90 7th Ave
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday,
Friday, Saturday & every other Sunday
How does the client get to the program?
- Volunteer drivers pick up the clients in the morning and bring them home again in the afternoon. In most areas of Grey and Bruce wheelchair accessible transportation can be arranged for those people who require it. This is all arranged by the Day Away staff. There is a $10.00 fee for transportation.
Are meals provided?
- Yes. Nutritious snacks are provided both at morning coffee and at afternoon tea time. At lunch, a choice of a hot meal, or bowl of soup and sandwiches, and dessert is served. Special diets and food preferences can be accommodated.
Are there any other services offered?
- Our Registered staff monitors the health of the clients and can take blood pressures, change dressings, monitor wounds, weights and supervise medications as required.
Is there a fee for this service?
- There is a cost of $10.00 per full day & $10.00 for transportation to & from the program. The fee helps to pay for the meal and snacks that are provided.
- The Ministry of Health funds the remainder of the cost of operating this program.
What does the program provide for me as a caregiver?
- The program can provide some time off for those who are caring for a family member or friend. We can provide an ongoing assessment of your family member’s physical health, and we can provide you with information about your family member’s illness and ways of dealing with the issues that arise for you. We can also be a support, someone who will listen. Our staff will keep in contact with you either by phone or through visiting you in your home.
How do I get more information about the Program?
- You can call directly to our program and staff will answer any questions you have. A registered staff at the Day Away program will meet with clients and their family members either in their home or during a visit to our program, to provide more information about the program, complete the necessary paperwork and provide any additional information the client or their caregiver requires.
- All clients and interested family members are encouraged to visit the program prior to admission in order to become familiar with the group and its activities.
One caregiver stated “I thank you so much for being so loving and caring. My husband always enjoyed going to the program. You made him feel that he was very special. You are all truly nightingales.”
For more information… Call 519-372-2091 or 1-800-267-3798 ext. 3